Friday, September 11, 2009

Great Grandpa Prater

I will never forget the first time I met Kenny's grandparents. I remember walking into the house that they raised their children in. There was comfy furniture, tons of pictures of family, grand kids and great-grand kids, and the all important BIG screen TV. Kenny lead me into the house with that, "are you sure your ready for this" look on his face. The first person we ran into was his grandpa. I was immediately wrapped in this huge hug. I made my way down the line, grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins, and at the end of the line there was Grandpa again. He took another hug and asked how I like my margarita. That's when I knew that being a Prater was NOT going to suck!!!!
One of G-pa's most favorite things to do is go fishing. I have heard so many stories of the family fishing/camping trips. Once the boys started getting older the trips started to slow down. G-pa is going to be 89 in November. He has been telling us for a while now that he wanted to go fishing one last time before he dies. I don't want you guys to get the wrong picture in your head. G-pa is not an "old man". He is not in a wheelchair, he drives a really nice Caddy around town, and last time I checked he still hangs his own Christmas lights. Lets just say that he is AMAZING and if we can accomplish half the stuff that he has then we are doing DAMN good.
We decided to help G-pa check a few items of his "bucket list" so we took him fishing! My parents were nice enough to lend us the cabin for the weekend. G-pa got to go fishing on Navajo Lake, spend time with his grandsons and great-grandson, eat good food, and watch the deer from the deck. He was one happy camper!
This is G-pa and his catch! I LOVE this picture!
The boys and their catch! Way to go guys!





We spent a lot of time on the deck.

A baby deer that came to visit.

Beer can chicken. Boy was it tasty!

Carter's Grandma and Pops lovin life.

Nana left this baby rifle at the cabin for Carter. He kept shooting the deer and saying "bang, bang, bang!"

We went on a super dusty ride. Good Times!


The fishing trip was a success, G-pa was happy, and that was all that mattered.
We love you G-pa!

2 comments:

Shelby Lou said...

here's your comment! haha sorry it took me a little while. DUDE you did a nice tribute to g-pa here. I love the picture of Carter and his gun he is holding it like a pro.

Jordans Jaunt said...

Thanks for updating your blog. I like to look at the pictures. Looks like you guys had a good time.
Love-
Mom