Monday, September 22, 2008

Crash And Burn Part 1

Carter is learning how to walk! As you can tell from the bump on his forehead, he is also learning how to fall. Since I'm such a great mom, I decided to wait until after he was done crying to take a picture of his bumps and bruises.

I tell myself that this is the first of many and that I don't need to run over to him every time he falls and starts to cry, but 90% of the time I don't listen. I do what ever it takes to make it better. Half the time giving him a piece of candy or a Cheeto makes all the pain go away. Then the other half of the time he wants me to hold him and tell him it's OK, sit and rock him for a bit, or kiss him until he laughs. That moment makes me so happy. I'm not happy because he is hurt but I am happy that he needed me. I love knowing that I have the ability to make him feel better. I see him growing up faster than I ever thought possible, and it scares me to think that I might forget these special moments. (Guess I'm having another weird "mom moment". Seriously, why do his bumps and bruises make me appreciate him more? Koo Koo!!)

It seems like we have been very busy the last couple weeks. Kenny has been reffing soccer A LOT! Last Saturday we went with him to Bolder City while he reffed two games. Carter had fun rolling around on his blanket. He's still not sure what to think about the grass so he never goes off the blanket, which makes watching him very easy. I know that wont last for very much longer. On the way home we stopped at the A&W and Carter shared a root beer float with us.

We also decided to cut Carter's hair. When I say we, I mean Me and Kenny. There was not a hair technician on the premises to lend a helping hand. We borrowed Uncle Ross's hair clippers and crossed our fingers. The last time he got his hair cut he was not the happiest little guy. This time I decided we needed a better distraction. Distraction = Popsicle. It worked out GREAT! I was in charge of the clippers and Kenny was in charge of holding Carters ears down and laughing at what a horrible job I was doing. It turned out pretty good and I think that the next time we might do even better.

4 comments:

The White Clan said...

As a hairdresser myself, I am a big fan of distractions! It doesn't look that horrid in the pictures. Good Job!!!

And all moms are that way on thier first child. Don't worry you get less worried on two and three. But the loves are always nice!!!

Anonymous said...

oh my you cutting anyones hair is scary, but thats how mormon moms do it. next time put a bowl on his head. lol. jkjk.. he is so adorable, you and kenny are going to have the cutest kids EVER. i hope my kids are cute, and not just weird looking. lol

Mandy said...

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be needed by your kids. You spend basically your entire day meeting their needs, so there is no harm in getting a little love in return every now and then.I say take it when you can get it!!!
Sorry I havent gotten back to you. I suck at returning calls, but you already knew that. I called you tonight, but no answer. Please dont give up on me. I am just a crazy old lady who cant keep time!

The Halligan's said...

Hailey has hurt herself the last 4 days in a row! It is so heart breaking for me to see her cry!I wish I could take the pain away, it is so sad to see them hurting! I have felt like such a HORRIBLE mom lately because it seems like everytime I turn my head she is falling, getting fingers slammed or some other painful thing is happening! People keep telling me that babies go through this phase... well I don't like it and I want it to pass quickly! =)
On a happier note... Great job on the hair cut!